Apr 9, 2010

MOLLE Gear: Tactical Tailor MAV Vest and Bib

















Make: Tactical Tailor
Models:
MAV Vest (tan)
MAV Bib (tan)
5.56 Single Mag pouch (coyote)
Knife/mag pouch (tan)
90 degree panel (coyote)

Make: ITW Military Products
Model: FASTmag 5.56 Single Mag Carrier, Gen 3


I'm fortunate enough to shoot at a range that lets me draw from the holster, wear a vest, shoot rapid fire rifle, and generally do odd training exercises that may otherwise be frowned upon.

I set up this vest to be simple and straightforward, and it lets me practice reloading drills when shooting the AR-15.  Note that this is the MAV Vest and Bib together (they are sold separately).  As you can see, I keep four 5.56 mags front and center, and there are two 9mm SIG pistol mags on the left.  These are mounted on the MAV Vest.  Additionally, there is a 90 degree panel mounted on the Bib, though I'm not currently using it for anything.

I'm fond of Tactical Tailor products and quality is typically good.  I really have no complaints about the MAV Vest and Bib, though I admit they don't see very hard use.

 
Standard pouch vs FASTmag
I actually steered away from the FASTmag carriers at first.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist as well as a strong believer in the KISS principle, so a simple MOLLE pouch with a bungee retaining strap seemed like the right way to go.  AR-15 mags sit fairly deep in these pouches.  I find that the fastest method to get them out is to pull off the strap and then actually yank the mag out of the pouch with my thumb and forefinger just far enough to switch to a full "coke can" grip on the main body.  From there I pull it free entirely and proceed with my reload.  It sounds like an annoying extra step, but with practice it becomes a quick, single motion.  Do note that some manufacturers sell "short" versions of this type of pouch that leaves a much larger portion of the magazine exposed which would make this extra yank unnecessary.

But the FASTmag carrier makes this entirely moot.  I'm definitely a convert.  While technically speaking, you need to "twist" the mag a bit to free it from the carrier, after you do it a dozen times you really just end up feeling like you're pulling the mag free without any additional wasted motion or effort.  And rest assured, the mag locks in place pretty securely.  I think you'd have to be dragged on a horse before you'd need to worry about mags popping free.

Built-in storage
Both the Bib and the main Vest have a small utility pouch built-in, which is quite handy for storing smaller items.


Secondary ammo
The standard pistol mag pouches are of typical design and can also hold lights, multi-tools, or folding knives. 

 
90 degree panel
This panel will turn a pouch 90 degrees from how it would otherwise be mounted.  I could think of a lot of pouches that could potentially go there, but there was nothing else I really needed on this vest so I just left it open for now.

 
A nice touch
For whatever reason, the MOLLE loops on the outermost edge of the MAV bib are a little bigger than the rest.  Just big enough to hold a Leatherman Skeletool in place.

Bullet Button tool
For you Californians, this is how I work my Bullet Button.  I whittled down a wooden chopstick to the right length and slightly rounded off the ends.  I attached it to the end of a Key-Bak key keeper which mounts nicely to the vest.  I use a Grimloc just to help ensure the chopstick returns to the same position each time.

To reload, I just use the chopstick to activate the Bullet Button.  As soon as I let it go, the Key-Bak yanks it bank into place with no fuss.

It works well, and reloads are pretty quick and effective.  I'm sold on using the Key-Bak though I think I could eventually come up with something better than the chopstick.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment