Apr 5, 2010

Knife Gear: Boker Subcom F Black


Make: Boker Plus
Model: Subcom F Black (model #01BO586)

Usually when people talk knives they like to talk about the big stuff: the hard-use tactical knives or bushcraft blades. But I've always found that it's the humble utility knife that tends to get the most use on a daily basis.

I carried this little Boker Subcom for years, and only recently did it go into retirement to make way for the new Kershaw Leek. I actually didn't intend to get the partially serrated blade (I didn't read the description closely enough before placing my online order), as I typically find that a plain edge is more useful overall, but over time I've come to like it well enough. Most people would say that a partially serrated blade is the worst of both worlds, and just plain pointless on a knife this small. However, I've found that with this Subcom, I'm either slicing through something very thin with the front plain edge, or trying to cut through light rope or twine with the full length of the blade which offers the benefit of the serrations, as abbreviated a length as it may be.

Normally I feel like I have to "fiddle" with knives of this size, and almost end up holding them like a pencil because the handles are so narrow.  But due to the width of the Subcom's handle (it's as wide as a knife twice the size), I feel like I can get a rock solid grip on the thing.  Add in the generous choil and serrations on the top for your thumb and it feels like the knife locks itself into your grip.

The Discount Line
The best thing about the Subcom is that it only runs about $30.  Utility knives get abused, and little folders like this one can also get lost pretty easily, but at that price you could get a few spares.

At the time I bought it, though, I didn't realize that the "Plus" in Boker Plus means that this particular knife is made in China.  I've become a lot more conscious of trying to find American made whenever possible, but the Subcom is such a great little tool that I'd have to make an exception.









































No comments:

Post a Comment