Sep 28, 2010

Gun Gear: Looking for Concealment


So I'm officially on the hunt for a good concealment holster.  The good news is there's a lot to choose from.  The bad news is there's a lot to choose from.

And unfortunately, since every holster will feel different to a person based on body type and personal preference, reading other people's opinions only counts for so much.  Then what's the point of blogging about it, you ask?  I figured I'd just try to record the evaluation process as opposed to recommending a specific product. 

My first goal is to find a good concealment holster for my SIG p229, which I would like to make my EDC gun.  It's not the smallest or lightest pistol in its class, but I think carrying around a few extra ounces is worth it if, god-forbid, you ever have to actually use it and all the SIG quality and dependability comes into play.  Plus I've been shooting it for more than five years now, so it's hard to make the argument to switch to a different platform without a very good reason.

But I could still see the need to be able to carry something a lot smaller and lighter in certain situations, like when all you've got on are gym shorts and a tank top and can barely conceal a wallet, let alone a handgun.  I'm thinking a Smith & Wesson scandium revolver...  But a holster can wait until after I actually buy it.

So first up is something for the p229...

My criteria for the holster:
1) Comfort, comfort, comfort!
2) How well it conceals
3) How well you can re-holster one-handed
4) Retention of the firearm
5) Quality (essentially how well it will hold up over time)


The Holster Hunt so far...
1.  High Noon Bare Asset (jump to post) - No Go on Comfort...
2.  Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe (jump to post) - So Far So Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment